Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's half past 2010 already!

With the Blog Hop for US Artquest's design team happening this week, I hopped around the blogosphere checking out the cool projects and left comments at the appropriate blogs. Several of the artists were kind enough to come visit my blog and left some kind comments. I realized I only blogged once for the whole year of 2009 and not at all yet this year. I will admit I've been very depressed for quite some time and just haven't felt like pretending everything was OK. Through the miracle of modern pharmacology, I've been feeling a lot better for a little while now. Too bad I had to diagnose myself and go tell the N.P. what to prescribe for me - but that's a different rant.
I've been taking lots of great classes the last couple of years in various things, but the best have been the painting classes from Chris Cozen, who is a member of the Working Artist program with Golden Acrylics. She lectures and teaches around Southern California - if you get a chance to take any of her classes, I highly recommend it!
It's not like I didn't enjoy the other classes I took, but I am drawn to painting and collage, so I'm going to try to focus on that - we'll see how that works out, haha! Me and my multitude of hobbies!
I'm also taking online classes from Julie Prichard and Chris Cozen that have been awesome. I have learned so much from them. The classes are Color: Beyond the Basics and Complex Collage; both under Project Deconstruction. You can get more information and sign up here.
Here are 2 paintings I created in classes with Chris and actually finished to my satisfaction - a first for me.

and
The first one started as an exercise in analogous colors. Of course since I love purple, I had to start with Quinacridone Magenta and Dioxazine Purple! The tan colors are actually gold, so they pop a little in real life. When I started the background for the second one I felt I should work outside of my comfort zone a little and started with various colors of yellow and Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold. The orange rectangle with lighter spots is a piece of really cool paper that Chris brought; wish I could find more like it! The pictures are of my mom and dad (and uncle in the 3rd picture). I'm happy with both of these paintings because they seemed to flow together right from the start, thanks to Chris's expert teaching skills!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Diane! Thanks for all the kind words. I love the pieces that you posted and hope you will get to do more. Our next online class through Julie's network is all about painting. So get your brushes ready!

Unknown said...

Thanks Chris! I am really looking forward to the classes at Stamping Details and of course the online class, too!

Craft Junkies said...

Diane:

Thanks for playing along with the USAQ blog hop and for visiting my blog.

Connie

Sarah Anderson said...

Oh Diane how horrid for you, I suffered with depression last year and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! My journal became my 'happy place' where I just played with paints etc, but before that I just used to bloghop. Glad to hear you're enjoying your courses, and have found some meds that work!